Head of Faculty Ms A White
BTEC Quality Nominee Miss R Rose
The National Diploma in Business is designed to be the substantive part of a study programme for learners who want a strong core of sector study. This programme is studied along one A-level or a BTEC Extended Certificate in Health and Social Care. The Diploma in Business supports progression to higher education courses in business areas before entering employment. It will prepare you for a career in one of the wide range of related professions.
The Extended Certificate in Business is for learners who are interested in learning about the business sector alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses, not necessarily in business-related subjects.
Both courses are assessed through a combination of internal assignments and external exams. These activities are enjoyable, interactive and suitable for all learning styles.
How will it be assessed?
BTEC Extended Certificate—two-year linear course. Board: EDEXCEL
The Extended Certificate is a level 3 qualification equivalent to one A-Level.
1. Unit 1 Exploring Business – Mandatory, Internal Assessment,
2. Unit 2 Developing a Marketing Campaign – Mandatory, External Assessment
3. Unit 3 Personal & Business Finance – Mandatory, External Assessment,
4. Unit 9 Recruitment & Selection Process – Optional, Internal Assessment
BTEC National Diploma—two-year linear course. Board: EDEXCEL
The BTEC Diploma is a level 3 qualification equivalent to two A-Levels. In addition to the above units, the Diploma also includes:
5. Unit 4 Managing an Event – Mandatory, Internal Assessment,
6. Unit 5 International Business – Mandatory, Internal Assessment
7. Unit 9 Principles of Management – Mandatory, Internal Assessment,
8. Optional Unit from a choice of: Investigating Customer Service; Market Research; English Legal System); OR Work Experience in Business
Both qualifications are graded as a P (Pass), M (Merit) or D (Distinction).
Where will it lead?
These qualifications provide a broad introduction that gives learners transferable knowledge and skills. They are designed for post-16 learners who want to continue their education through applied learning. The qualifications prepare learners for a range of higher education courses and job roles related to the business sector. They provide progression either by meeting entry requirements in their own right or by being accepted alongside other qualifications at the same level and adding value to them.
The BTEC level 3 qualification is equivalent to A-level standard and may fulfil UCAS entry requirement for university to study for a Business related degree.
Students will get opportunities to hear guest speakers either in school or by visiting a variety of health and social care settings, as well as universities.
Average GCSE point score of 4.5 including grade 4 (or above) in English Language and in Maths.